[Mailman-Users] Character problems..

Anders Norrbring lists at norrbring.biz
Fri Aug 13 10:33:26 CEST 2004

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:23:34PM +0200, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> > I guess that the problem is in the way Mailman and Apache interprets
> what I
> > enter in the welcome_msg text entry box in the Mailman Admin page, after
> > all, this is a web page, and hence entered characters are converted
> > somewhere to their html complaint sets, i.e. ? turns to ä
> >
> > Is there some way to manually change these values? Perhaps via
> config_list
> > dump, edit and reload?
> You could try using bin/withlist to set the value of the welcome_msg
> string.  As the mailman user:
> $ bin/withlist -l mylist
> >>> print m.welcome_msg
> >>> m.welcome_msg = '''This is the new welcome text
> ... that will be prepended to the message sent to
> ... new subscribers.'''
> >>> m.Save()
> >>> {ctrl-d}
> But I am suspicious that the encoding might be occurring on the
> way out rather than the way in.  Please try.  :-)

I did it the way I described, I dumped the config with config_list -o and
edited the config file.  Every Swedish character in the file was encoded in
a format I haven't seen before. :)  The character ä was coded as \xe4 and
the ö was presented as \xf6.  So I simply swapped the encoded strings for
the Swedish characters in a text editor, reloaded the config with
config_list -i and the outgoing e-mails are correct.

So, the problem should be when the texts are entered in the web page
configuration I think.  Since it works fine when imported from the config

Anders Norrbring
Norrbring Consulting

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list