[Mailman-Users] Mailman won't start

Allen Martin allen.martin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 19:59:03 CEST 2004

I recently had a server set up for me with 1and1 internet and it is
using the Plesk 7.1.1 control panel system and Redhat 9. For some
reason, the mailman mailing list wasn't working.  I could set
everything up through the control panel and I could even go to the
non-plesk control panel for the list. I could create, add users, etc.
But it just didn't send to any of them.  Further investigation showed
that mailman wasn't starting properly...here is the error I am
receiving:
(this is as root and in the /var/mailman/bin directory)

[XXX at XXXXXXX bin]# ./mailmanctl start
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./mailmanctl", line 538, in ?
    main()
  File "./mailmanctl", line 357, in main
    check_for_site_list()
  File "./mailmanctl", line 275, in check_for_site_list
    sitelist = MailList(sitelistname, lock=0)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 101, in __init__
    self.Load()
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 573, in Load
    dict, e = self.__load(file)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 546, in __load
    dict = loadfunc(fp)
AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute 'append'

**any help would be appreciated! I don't know where to start.

Thanks!