[Mailman-Users] New user - Mailman question

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Aug 21 16:15:55 CEST 2004

At 12:55 AM -0400 2004-08-21, Charles Mikecz Vamossy wrote:

>  You really expect ordinary users, who sign up for a discussion list
>  to understand autoresponders, mandatory white lists, etc???

	If they're going to use these tools, they need to understand
something about how to configure them properly, yes.  If not, then
they need to either not use the tools at all, or they need to be
configured properly by someone else.  None of these things have
apparently happened in your case.

>                                                               Most have
>  trouble just figuring out the difference between their user ID's and
>  passwords.

	That's true enough.  So, these users need to be using software
that is correctly configured by others.  Which you are not.

>              To reach a large number of users, the program should be
>  simpler and intuitive (which I know requires a much better quality of
>  development).

	Yup.  Your software is definitely showing that it is very poor
quality, or at least very poorly configured.

>                 So far my brief introduction to Mailman has been
>  anything but...

	So far, our brief introduction to you and the software you've
been using has been extremely negative.  This is something you can
fix, either by changing providers (to one where the software *is*
properly configured), or by changing the configuration of the
software you're using with your current provider.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755