Fwd: [Mailman-Users] New user - Mailman question

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Aug 21 16:13:00 CEST 2004

At 12:50 AM -0400 2004-08-21, Charles Mikecz Vamossy wrote:

>  It is also the intuitive thing to do and is also the common practice with
>  most list management services.

	Oh?  How many decades have you been doing this?  How many decades
have you been administering such services?

	You can't make an argument like this unless you can demonstrate
that you have a significant amount of experience on which to make
your claims.

>                                  I write to a list - I expect my responses
>  come from the list, especially if I sign up for a daily digest.  Instead
>  I am bombarded by hostile individual responses.

	The responses have come from the list, although some people might
also have sent you private responses.  You apparently do not
understand how this process works, and have either misconfigured the
software so that it responds in an inappropriate manner, or the
software is not capable of being configured to respond in a correct
way.

	In any event, it certainly did the wrong thing in this case.

>  Very unpleasant to be on the receiving end of list running on a
>  Mailman server.  I know know how my users feel...

	It's very unpleasant to be someone responsible for administering
a Mailman mail server when there are clueless users who subscribe and
inflict their effluent on everyone on the list.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755