[Mailman-Users] Mass settings

Allen Watson allen at circleofa.com
Wed Aug 25 18:54:19 CEST 2004

On or near 8/24/04 9:33 PM, Jim Tittsler at jwt at onjapan.net observed:

> On Aug 25, 2004, at 06:13, Allen Watson wrote:
>>> You need shell access to use withlist. If all you have is the web
>>> interface I suspect you'd have to go through and do it manually.
>> That's the case AFAIK. I'll have to inquire at Pair.com to see if I
>> can get
>> access.
> bin/withlist is the best solution.
> However if you don't have shell access, there is the kludge of
> *locally* scripting the web operations necessary to get your result...
> working entirely through the web interface.

Jim, thanks for all this info (deleted for brevity)...
> Given a list of subscriber email addresses (which you may be able to
> obtain by mailing the 'who' command to the list-request, although it
> sounds like you have a list that you mass subscribed)

It was the attempt to use "who" that uncovered the problem of everyone being
set "hide"; when that's the case, the "who" list is empty!

> For extra credit, you could scrape the users that need setting from the
> Membership Management web pages.
That's what I'd have to do...but pair.com simply un-hid everyone for me.
Still, I've saved your script for possible use later, modified for other

> Or use a shell script taking advantage of curl's -F option.
That escapes me. I read the man entry on the -F option, but I'm not clear
how I would use it. (Don't feel you need to explain. My experience with Unix
shell scripts is limited to some stuff I did about 30 years ago and a few
simple things done on my Mac OS X system.)

> I feel so unclean.

Your companion on the journey,
Allen Watson

The Circle of Atonement, P.O. Box 4238, W. Sedona, AZ 86340
"Thus is your healing everything the world requires, that it may be healed"
(A Course in Miracles, T-27.V.7:1).