[Mailman-Users] debian upgrade to 2.1.5

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 19:43:45 CEST 2004

On 25 Aug 2004, at 17:30, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 04:42:07PM +0100, Richard Barrett wrote:
>>
>> On 25 Aug 2004, at 13:57, Rick Pasotto wrote:
>>
>>> mailman appeared in the list of potential upgrades this morning but
>>> when
>>> I try to install it I'm told that there are files in
>>> /var/lib/mailman/qfiles so the upgrade won't happen. There are no
>>> *files* in that directory, however there are some *directories*
>>> there.
>>>
>>> I'm told to run 'mailmanctl start' to clear out the files and then
>>> run
>>> the update again. When I try to do that I'm told that qrunner is
>>> already
>>> running.
>>
>> If there and files in the subdirs of $prefix/qfiles/ then make sure
>> 'mailmanctl start' has started the qrunners and let it run until the
>> subdirs are empty. Then stop your local MTA, sendmail or whatever, so
>> that it will not deliver any more messages into the $prefix/qfiles/in
>> subdir. Run 'mailmanctl stop' to stop the qrunners and you should be
>> able to safely upgrade the mailman installation. I cannot speak to
>> debian and how it does upgrades. Thew restart your MTA and run
>> 'mailmanctl start'.
>
> There is *nothing* for qrunner to process.

Hey, you are the guy with the problem not me. If you do not like the
help do not ask for it.

> There are files in the 'bad' directory. There are files in the 'shunt'
> directory. There is one file in the 'commands' directory which is
> waiting for moderator action.
>
>>> How can I find what files are blocking the upgrade?
>
> Why should any of those files block the upgrade?

Because that is the way that the Debian package developer decided it
should be.

This is not a Mailman issue per se. If you installed and upgraded
Mailman from its source distribution you wouldn't get this hassle as
this empty directory constraint is not a Mailman constraint.

But, given you are doing it the Debian way, I guess you should stop the
MTA, run 'mailmanctl stop',  move those file under $prefix/qfiles/ to
one side see if that will make the installer happy. bad means
bad/cannot be handled and shunt probably means they cannot be handled.
So you could choose to just delete this stuff but that is your choice.