[Mailman-Users] Mailman has stopped processing mail

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Aug 26 02:21:12 CEST 2004

Judy Petersen wrote:

>Our Web host provides Mailman for our use and I am the new listkeeper. We
>generate a sizeable number of messages daily but the last one  received
>(according to the archive) was early yesterday afternoon. Our ISP's answer
>to our help request was 'read the documentation' (which was interesting but
>doesn't have any troubleshooting). We have had several individuals not
>receiving the emails since switching to Mailman but now the entire list is
>unable to receive. What should I do next? To my knowledge, I have made no
>changes in the admin except to individual subscribers. Judy Petersen

Get a new web host/ISP ... (not helpful I know, but not 100% facetious)

I assume you have web access to the admin pages for your list and no
access (i.e. shell access to the server than Mailman is on) beyond
that. If this is the case, there's not too much you can do. Check on
the "General Options" page to be sure emergency moderation is set to
"no", but if this were the problem, you would presumably be getting
lots of moderation approval requests unless someone else is the
moderator (or list owner if no moderator).

Next I would check the Mailman logs (particularly "post", "error" and
"smtp") and maybe MTA logs, but I'm guessing you don't have access to
these. If this is the case, you have to go back to the ISP and be more
demanding. If you're paying for Mailman hosting, they should be
helping you.

Regarding your prior problem of certain users not receiving, if their
subs are in order and they are not set to "nomail" and mail is not
bouncing (ideally, you can see the "bounce" log, but if you have the
list set to process bounces and to send unrecognized bounces to you,
people who are bouncing whose bounces you don't see will sooner or
later be disabled), then the list mail is most likely being caught in
a spam filter somewhere.