[Mailman-Users] Wondering how long to send messages

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Aug 28 18:27:22 CEST 2004

At 8:55 AM -0700 2004-08-28, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>  I think we're getting a little off track here. I don't think anyone is
>  talking about doing anything that requires code modification.

	Perhaps.

>  The OP merely asked how long must he wait between posting a message and
>  deleting a user from the list to be sure the user still gets the post.

	True enough.

>  I still think that once the "completed" message for the post is in the
>  Mailman smtp log, changes to the subscriber list for non-digest
>  subscribers won't affect who ultimately receives the post. The
>  message-id of the post is in the log, so you can tell if the log entry
>  is for the post in question if that is an issue.

	Right, but then you have to single-thread all deliveries to the
mailing list, otherwise if you make changes to the subscriber list
after a given message has been sufficiently processed, you may very
well catch other messages which are in the middle of being processed
and which would otherwise be affected by the subscriber change.

	So long as you can single-thread those deliveries to the list, or
there are naturally long periods of time between when a message is
submitted and when the next one comes along, you're fine.  Otherwise,
you've got to come up with some sort of locking mechanism which would
most likely mean additional code.

	Of course, if there were natural long periods of time between
when one message was submitted and when the next one came along,
you're much less likely to be put into a situation where it is
extremely time critical to know precisely when the message has been
sufficiently processed that it is now safe to go change the
subscriber list.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755