[Mailman-Users] HTML formatted email issues

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Aug 30 22:37:45 CEST 2004

Scott Howley (FSMB) wrote:

>I am attempting to send an HTML formatted newsletter using Mailman with MS
>Outlook as the client with no success; the HTML code is always stripped out.
>I have read the FAQ and searched the archives but have not found the
>solution to my problem. Has anyone had any luck with using Mailman and
>Outlook to send HTML formatted email?

Go to the Content Filtering admin page for your list and read the
description. Pay particular attention to the sentence "Then, each
multipart/alternative section will be replaced by just the first
alternative that is non-empty after filtering." This means that if you
are filtering at all, and if you allow both text/plain and text/html
(and multipart/alternative), then Mailman will select the text/plain
part from a multipart/alternative group with a text/plain part.

Assuming you have some reason to filter content and allow HTML and
therefore don't want to turn filtering off, you have to arrange for
Outlook to send HTML only, not both HTML and plain text. You also want
to be sure that "convert html to plaintext" is "no".