[Mailman-Users] [still] No address associated with nodename

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Thu Dec 23 01:53:45 CET 2004

On 12/20/2004 22:29, "JP Kelly" <listuser at jpkvideo.net> wrote:

>>> ms mailman is not contacting exim at all.
>>
>> That is what the error message is telling you.  Mailman's
>> connection via Python's smtplib is failing because it is not
>> successfully looking up mailman.jpkvideo.net (which is how
>> you've overridden the default for SMTPHOST in your mm_cfg.py).
>> (Does 'telnet mailman.jpkvideo.net 25' from the Mailman machine
>> actually succeed?)
>
> Yes it does:
> telnet mailman.jpkvideo.net 25
> Trying 63.198.201.218...
> Connected to adsl-63-198-201-218.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net.
>
> I am testing this on a DSL static ip and the reverse lookup resolves to
> adsl-63-198-201-218.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net.
> could that be the problem?

You're making the telnet connection, but unless you left part of the
"action" out, the mail server is not responding with the SMTP connection
banner.  So it appears you can reach the machine's port 25, but the SMTP
server dislikes you enough to refuse even to begin to talk to you.

It should look something like this:

$telnet smtp.olympus.net 25
Trying 65.117.224.66...
Connected to smtp.olympus.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 entiat.olympus.net ESMTP Exim 4.42 Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:49:48 -0800 C

Where that 220 line is the "missing" banner (and the trailing " C" is an
indicator we added to this instance of Exim).

  --John