[Mailman-Users] Reply to list

John Buttery john at io.com
Sun Feb 8 11:37:05 CET 2004

* Lena at lena.kiev.ua [2004-02-05 20:02:46 +0200]:
> http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml

  I've read that before; doesn't change the fact that arbitrarily
overwriting the Reply-To: header destroys information.

> A good portion of my members (mostly newbies) use various web-based
> mailers.  They haven't a "Reply to all" button.

  Then their mailer is broken and they need to fix/change it.  Two
wrongs don't make a right.

> The members are newbies in computers - what I should do, refuse them
> in medical help until they buy own computer (a year average monetary
> income here) and master it?  Please remember that almost all members
> on non-technical lists are FAR less savvy than you are.

  That's not a compelling argument.  There are plenty of web-based
mailers that _do_ have a group-reply function (geez, even Hotmail and
Yahoo can handle that much).

  This all really comes down to one thing, and I apologize to everyone
if this comes out a bit harsh but it's a pet peeve of mine.  I really
could care less what a newbie "expects to see", I care about doing the
right thing.  Hopefully they coincide, but this is one of those cases
where they don't, and penalizing all the members of a mailing list by
having their Reply-To's erased just so that some newbie doesn't have to
think is not acceptable to me.  It's the Outlook virus, and I'm not
talking about a computer virus this time.

  Ford doesn't provide a chauffeur with every new car.  Learn the tool.

--
  John  ! Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid
 Buttery! thinking.  There is an almost universal quest for easy answers