[Mailman-Users] can i hide an internal host that hosts mailing lists?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Feb 11 16:24:47 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 07:11, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   (i'm new to mailman, and still working my way through the FAQ and docs,
> so if there's a simple URL that addresses this, that would be just ducky.)
>
>   can i set up one or more mailing lists on a concealed, internal host so
> that no one needs to know the actual name of that host?
>
>   i have an internal host, internal.yoyodyne.com, that is not and should
> not be visible outside of yoyodyne.com.  it's a fast, reliable machine,
> the perfect host for a mailing list or two.
>
>   i'd like these mailing lists to be visible to both internal users and
> external users, but not by that name.  instead, i'd like to establish an
> alias -- lists.yoyodyne.com -- that everyone can use.  that's the name
> that people should be able to use to browse to the mailman web interface,
> subscribe, unsubscribe, get admin messages from and so on.  but so far,
> it's proving to be a bit tricky.
>
>   even after the company admin set up DNS and virtual hosting to create
> that alias, mailman still insists on using the actual internal name in
> some situations.  if you browse to lists.yoyodyne.com, the top of the
> page says "internal".
>
>   if you subscribe to a list, the confirmation message asks you to reply
> to "internal.yoyodyne.com".
>
>   is it possible to *completely* conceal the internal name of a mailing
> list host?  during configuration, i did my best to avoid using the
> internal name and used only the "lists" name, but i'm assuming that
> mailman is invoking "hostname" or something to that effect somewhere
> along the way.
>
>   can this be done?  thanks.
>
> rday

Do you have the Virtual hosting setup in Mailman? (this is a version
2.1.x of Mailman, right?).  If so, what happens if you create a new list
using this virtual host information?  Is it using the mailserver info as
setup in ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py?

Examples can be found in ~mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py

Good luck - Jon Carnes