[Mailman-Users] Mail Not Delivered to All List Members

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sun Feb 15 01:45:41 CET 2004

On 14 Feb 2004, at 21:58, Hunter Hillegas wrote:

> Hello. We are running 2.1.1 on RH7.2.
>
> We have a list with 27,000 members. It is an announce type list, only
> the
> moderator posts to it.
>
> Yesterday he posted his first message to the list.
>
> The message was delivered to some list members but not all (for
> instance he
> didn't get it but I did).
>
> I am trying to troubleshoot this but I'm not sure where to start.
>
> 1. How can I tell who didn't get the message? It might help point out a
> pattern.

Try checking the Mailman (typically $prefix/logs/) and MTA (typically
/var/log/mail) logs. Using message-ids to correlate log entries you
should be able to track an incoming message from the MTA's mail log to
the Mailman post log, then via the Mailman smtp log for the outgoing
distribution back to the MTA mail log. You may find evidence of
problems in any of those logs and also in Mailman's smtp-failure, error
and bounce logs. If you have a copy of a message that made it through
the system and back out again then the Received: headers will give you
some idea of what happened for that instance of the message at least
and might offer hints as to your problem.

You can also take a look at the contents of the subdirectories of
$prefix/qfiles/ This may give you some idea of Mailman's
"work-in-progress".