[Mailman-Users] Question on forwarded admin requests.

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 00:21:14 CET 2004

On 18 Feb 2004, at 20:18, John Grunder wrote:

> Has anyone seen a situation in Mailmain 2.1 where administrative
> requests
> (subscribe, unsubscribe) might be forwarded back to the unmoderated
> list,
> and thereby to the general list members?
>
> Is there a setting which could make this happen?

The "(Administrivia filter) Check postings and ...?", the administrivia
option, on the General Options web admin GUI page for a list will
affect detection of administrative messages sent to a list's primary
mail alias. If turned off this will prevent the administrivia filter
operating and ensure that, for instance, subscribe and unsubscribe
requests are not diverted from the list to the list admin.

The default for this list attribute is controlled on list creation by
the value of the DEFAULT_ADMINISTRIVIA configuration variable in the
$prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py

> We have a list which was converted over from Majordomo last month to
> Mailman and now all of the members are being flooded with messages from
> the list requesting to unsubscribe.  Since this overloads other
> member's
> mailboxes, they too are asking to unsubscribe, and the wave builds.  We
> need to stop this somehow.

Why not send a message to the list with a mailto link to the
listname-unsubscribe mail alias and text reminding people to use that
alias to unsubscribe.