[Mailman-Users] [Repost] Internal vs. external mail addresses

Paul Smith pausmith at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Feb 27 16:02:17 CET 2004

[[ I sent this back in October 2003 but no response... I wonder if
   anyone has any thoughts about this problem? ]]

I have some internal mailing lists that are trying to be closed (only
members can post without moderator approval).

Unfortunately, we have different email addresses for internal
vs. external mail, and our Exchange (:-/) server rewrites our addresses
for mail we send internally to be from the internal address, even if we
have a From: line etc. using the external address.

So, when people send mail to the list part of the time it looks like it
comes from their external address, and part of the time it looks like it
comes from their internal address.  When the mail looks like it comes
from the "other" address and it's addressed to a closed list, the
moderator has to approve it.  This is a major pain!

I'm wondering if there's any capability in Mailman to have it understand
that two different mail domains are really equivalent, so that
psmith at foobar.com is the same as psmith at lists.foo.bar.com  (for
example)?

Anyone else have any ideas (not including changing the way our email or
Exchange servers work... believe me I'd love to do that but...)?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith at nortelnetworks.com>   HASMAT: HA Software Mthds & Tools