[Mailman-Users] problems with mailing list

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 3 07:32:46 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 02:40, Ryan fk Heise wrote:
> We are experiencing problems with our mailing list through mail-man. My band "System and Station" runs the mailing list on a server associated with communitymusician.com. Here is the problem in detail. We have about 260 members in our list. Any messages that we send to the list do not get sent to all the mailing list members. One address will recieve the e-mail while another e-mail address will not. It cannot be an address problem because my address is part of the list and I do not get any posts to the mailing list. My address is entered in correctly and my settings are the same as the next persons but I do not get the e-mail. This leads me to suspect that there are others who are not recieving the posts under these same circumstances. I have racked my brain in the settings of this list to try and remedy this problem. I have changed settings in the hopes of finding some resolution but continue to hit the same brick wall. Why would one person recieve a post and I would not in light of the fact that both e-mail addresses are correct. I have tested other correct e-mail addresses other than my own and still see the problem. I am hoping that you can give me some idea of how to deal with this problem and any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanking you in advance,
> System and Station

There are a great many reasons why this may be happening.  It could be
that your mailhost (communitymusician.com) got flagged as a spammer -
and then most of the other mailhosts are rejecting the mail from the
list.

It could be any number of problems with the server: running out of ram,
failing network card, intermittent DNS service, some volumes running low
or full on the server....

There are too many reasons to be mentioned, and most of them need to be
looked at by a local admin for the server in question.

Point the local admin to FAQ 3.14 from Mailman and it will help them
troubleshot whatever the problem may be (if it's related to Mailman).

Good Luck - Jon Carnes