[Mailman-Users] BUG in Mailman version 2.1.3

Simon White simon at caperet.com
Thu Jan 8 09:49:35 CET 2004

07-Jan-04 at 20:05, Thomas Hochstein (ml at ancalagon.inka.de) wrote :
> valdir at ccuec.unicamp.br ("Valdir A. Soares") scripsit/wrote:
>
> > UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)
> >
> > I couldn't solve this problem and I will appreciate your help.
>
> Just guessing: that may be due to 8-bit-characters in the message
> headers of incoming mail (which are forbidden there and have to be
> encoded as MIME encoded words).
>
> Anyway, it would be nice if Mailman could handle that a bit more
> gracefully (even if the sending client/server is at fault here).

While Internet messages should indeed either be sent 7-bit or in
8BITMIME format, the clean thing to do for all those broken and borked
MTAs out there is to either

- handle this on your MTA by enforcing strict 7-bit headers
- have Mailman drop the high order bit to zero (in the headers or the
  body) if MIME content is incorrectly encoded or not compliant for
  whatever reason

The first option should be easy. The second requires a patch...

Regards,

--
Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server Administration.
email, dns and web servers; php javascript perl asp; MySQL MSSQL Access