[Mailman-Users] 4 things: conjugation with usenet, archivisation by arriving date, statistics, and link to the archives i

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon Jan 12 22:38:22 CET 2004

At 9:53 PM +0100 2004/01/12, Andrzej Kasperowicz wrote:

>  http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/resources/datefields.html

	[ ... deletia ... ]

>  I don't know if it is foolproof, but I would wish also pipermail to look
>  rather at the received date, than sender composed date (from 2024 or
>  something).

	It's certainly not foolproof -- indeed, anything but.

	The problem is that the "Date:" field is almost always correct
(at least, within a few minutes).  This is why people get upset when
it's wrong.  If you really care about this problem, then what is
really needed is not to simply choose the fields in a particular
order, but instead a way of intelligently over-riding and correcting
the value of the "Date:" field, based on the "Received:" headers.

>  It really looks strange when there are so many dates from future stored
>  in archive...

	A little.  But they're stored in the order they're received, so
anyone can look at them in that order, and clearly see that the date
field is out of whack.  It's not really such a big problem.

>  I'd prefer to have a few hours/days error in recognizing the date, than a
>  few years one.

	You're still thinking about what might happen by accident.
You're not thinking about people who are intentionally trying to
abuse or mislead the system.

>  BTW, don't you think that there could be a search engine build in mailman
>  archive (how did you find those links you quoted?)?

	No need.  Use Google.  A few choice words and a "site:python.org"
and you should be able to find most anything on any of the lists.

	Of course, this doesn't help you for private archives, which is
why there are tools like glimpse.