[Mailman-Users] Re: 4 things:

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Tue Jan 13 02:04:04 CET 2004

and Brad Knowles wrote:
>         To really do it properly, you'd have to parse the date/time
>stamps on every hop that the message passed through, converting them
>all back to a common baseline (presumably something like UTC).  When
>the "Date:" header is out-of-whack in comparison to the date/time
>stamps in the "Received:" headers, then it could be corrected
>(re-converted to the appropriate timezone, of course).

      All I care about is the one that is used by the archiver.  If this
date is not "reasonable" then it should be overridden.  On second thought 2
days is too restrictive.  Two days is fine for the future, longer would be
needed for the past.

>How would you tell what might have been forged versus what might have
>been caused by a server being down for a few days, or whatever?

        Ultimately a bad guess would be better than something a decade or
two in the future.   Go check out
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/ and see how things like
April 2024 and December 2006 make a mess.

<>< Paul