[Mailman-Users] Sendmail to Postfix

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 22 04:18:20 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 21:53, T. Glen Haggard wrote:
> What would I have to do to switch from Sendmail to Postfix? Would have to
> re-install Mailman or can I just switch remove Sendmail and install Postfix?
>

> Glen

Postfix is pretty much a drop and insert replacement for Sendmail. You
need to install Postfix, get it running as the local MTA with
appropriate rights and then move your Mailman aliases over to a separate
aliases file ~mailman/data/aliases that is owned by user/group mailman.
Then tell Postfix about both the /etc/aliases database and the
~mailman/data/aliases database.

Next you need to rerun ./configure and tell it that the mail cgi's will
be run by the group "mailman" rather than "mail".
  ./configure  --with-mail-gid=mailman

Then run make install.  That should update the cgi's and not disturb
your lists at all.

In your ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file you might also want to change
the value of MTA to "Postfix" so that it integrates with Postfix nicely:
       MTA = 'Postfix'

The README.POSTFIX also has some relevant settings that will help you
transition to Postfix smoothly.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes