[Mailman-Users] Unsubscribe without a password

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Jan 26 05:21:30 CET 2004

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:17:34PM -0500, Brian Haines wrote:
> I am very interested in the topic of configuring Mailman to allow
> subscribe/unsubscribe requests without a password. From the archives Simon
> White offered something of a solution and was willing to share it, but his
> email was not in the message (as it should be).
>
> I would be interested in Simon's or any other's solutions or thoughts on a
> solution.

~mailman/bin/add_members and ~mailman/bin/remove_members.  These require
privs.

You should be aware that there are morons out there that will try to
spam your lists with messages and probably fake subscribe/unsubscribe
messages. If you allow for an Internet-wide subscribe without
confirmation, you could easily be classified a spammer and end up on
blackhole lists.  You better know what you're doing before you dig into
this.  It isn't that hard for a user to subscribe or unsubscribe
themselves.  Admins, of course, can do it for them with the utilities I
listed above or via the web pages.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org