[Mailman-Users] Removing illegal list member addresses

Andy Malato andym at oak.njit.edu
Tue Jan 27 15:01:56 CET 2004

Hello All:

I have a situation where one of my list adminstrators managed to get
illegal characters into the address field, so there are about a dozen
addresses that appear invalid.

list_members -i offending_list  shows address such as this:

user.user at host.domain\240
user.user at host.domain - sometext
user.user at host.domain - sometext
u s e r @ h o s t . d o m a i n
user.user at host.domain\240
\240user.user at host.domain

And the list just goes on for about another 10 lines or so.  I tried
putting the list of addresses in a file and using the -f option to
remove_members, but that caused the remove_members script to bomb with
errors such as the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/export/mailman/bin/remove_members", line 186, in ?
    main()
  File "/export/mailman/bin/remove_members", line 176, in main
    admin_notif, userack)
  File "/export/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 946, in
ApprovedDeleteMember
    self.removeMember(emailaddr)
  File "/export/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line 220, in
removeMember
    self.__assertIsMember(member)
  File "/export/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line 113, in
__assertIsMember
    raise Errors.NotAMemberError, member
Mailman.Errors.NotAMemberError: a.sutherland at engf.canterbury.ac.nz-alex

Does anyone know how I can remove these illegal addresses from this
list?

We are running mailman version 2.13

Thanks,

         ---Andy