[Mailman-Users] Cannot get GUI to work

William C. Mueller wcmuelle at wisc.edu
Thu Jan 29 21:53:12 CET 2004

We are setting up Mailman 2.1.4 for testing and review
on a Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3.0 system.

Mailman installed OK and
usr/local/mailman/bin/check_perms produced no errors.

So unto Step 4. Final system set-up.
However here is where we run into problems.

We are trying to interface Mailman with Apache but
cannot get the Mailman GUI to run.

Per the instructions
httpd.conf was edited to include:

ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin">
     AllowOverride None
     Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

The ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
and its Directory definition were commented out.

The web server was started with "apachectl start".
Browsing into our machine we get only:
Index of /
with no files listed.

Also DocumentRoot and Directory were experimented with:

  DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
  was changed to
  DocumentRoot "/usr/local/mailman"

  and

  <Directory "/var/www/html">
  was changed to
  <Directory "/usr/local/mailman">

Making this change resulted in the browser to display
all the files in /usr/local/mailman.

Clicking on the cgi-bin directory resulted in Forbidden
Access.

A listing of /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin
shows the following files.

admin
admindb
confirm
create
edithtml
listinfo
options
private
rmlist
roster
subscribe

We thought there should be .cgi files or an index.html
file in there. How do we point to the file that starts
the GUI interface?

Since we are just new to this environment the answer may
right in front of us and we can't see it.

Any help from this list would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
-Bill Mueller

        William C. Mueller      wcmuelle at wisc.edu     608-262-9886
    Systems Engineering & Operations  -  Customer Application Services
      University of Wisconsin  -  Division of Information Technology
      5752 Tokay Blvd, Suite 200, Madison, WI 53719 - United States