[Mailman-Users] Integrating mailman with customer data

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Jul 8 23:48:13 CEST 2004

At 5:33 PM -0400 2004-07-08, Ben M. Swihart wrote:

>  Mailman basically has a database of e-mail addresses and (optionally)
>  names.

	Actually, it's not a true database.  This information is
contained within a Python "pickle" structure on disk, for each
mailing list.

>  All I am trying to accomplish is integrate the powerful functionality of
>  mailman with a database of customers.  When someone wishes to contact
>  all of their customers by e-mail, then they should be using mailman IMHO
>  because it's intelligent about headers, MTA's, logging, configuration,
>  and much more.  So... Since I can't expand mailman's database of
>  customers, I have to use another database and middleware such as
>  MySQL/PHP.  Whenever I manage this database via admin tools, if I delete
>  a customer or change their e-mail address, then I have to manage them in
>  mailman as well.  It makes no sense to have to have to do things twice
>  every time you add/change a customer!

	You can use the mailman command-line tools to synchronize against
external databases.  There are various people on the list who have
described their work in doing so.  I would encourage you to search
the archives of the mailing list.

	See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.018.htp>
to learn more about how to search the archives of the mailing list,
and
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.009.htp>
to learn more about the Mailman command-line programs.

>  This basic idea of using mailman in concert with more data about who is
>  being e-mailed does not seem all that foreign or unusual to me, but
>  reading through the mailman documents and posting to this list leaves me
>  feeling like I am trying to use mailman to power my hobby spacecraft to
>  100km!

	The problem is that Mailman is a mailing list manager.  It is not
a customer resources manager, nor does it have direct interfaces to
real databases (real database interfaces are supposedly coming for
Mailman3).

	See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.018.htp>
and also
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.037.htp>.

	I'd also encourage you to look at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.022.htp>.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755