[Mailman-Users] Integrating mailman with customer data

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Jul 8 23:48:13 CEST 2004

At 5:33 PM -0400 2004-07-08, Ben M. Swihart wrote:

>  Mailman basically has a database of e-mail addresses and (optionally)
>  names.

	Actually, it's not a true database.  This information is
contained within a Python "pickle" structure on disk, for each
mailing list.

>  All I am trying to accomplish is integrate the powerful functionality of
>  mailman with a database of customers.  When someone wishes to contact
>  all of their customers by e-mail, then they should be using mailman IMHO
>  because it's intelligent about headers, MTA's, logging, configuration,
>  and much more.  So... Since I can't expand mailman's database of
>  customers, I have to use another database and middleware such as
>  MySQL/PHP.  Whenever I manage this database via admin tools, if I delete
>  a customer or change their e-mail address, then I have to manage them in
>  mailman as well.  It makes no sense to have to have to do things twice
>  every time you add/change a customer!

	You can use the mailman command-line tools to synchronize against
external databases.  There are various people on the list who have
described their work in doing so.  I would encourage you to search
the archives of the mailing list.

to learn more about how to search the archives of the mailing list,
to learn more about the Mailman command-line programs.

>  This basic idea of using mailman in concert with more data about who is
>  being e-mailed does not seem all that foreign or unusual to me, but
>  reading through the mailman documents and posting to this list leaves me
>  feeling like I am trying to use mailman to power my hobby spacecraft to
>  100km!

	The problem is that Mailman is a mailing list manager.  It is not
a customer resources manager, nor does it have direct interfaces to
real databases (real database interfaces are supposedly coming for

and also

	I'd also encourage you to look at

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755