[Mailman-Users] How to set up an archive of current and past city council public notices.

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sat Jul 17 15:10:33 CEST 2004

At 5:22 AM -0400 2004-07-17, Don Saklad wrote:

>            Here's an example of contrary Boston city council's
>            public records that city of boston city council offices are
>            not willing to make available on the web with the full text
>            of the public document nor by email formatted in plain text ASCII

	Note that there are some freely available programs to convert
Microsoft Word documents to HTML and other forms.  For example, see
the program "wv", <http://freshmeat.net/projects/wv/>.  You could use
programs like this (or StarOffice) to do the conversion and then post
the resulting documents to the mailing list.

	It shouldn't be too hard to work up a way to automatically pull
down the latest documents, convert them, and then post the
conversions (or the links to the conversions) to the mailing list.

	However, all this would need to be done outside of Mailman.
There are no facilities within the current version to execute
arbitrary format conversion programs (such as wv), and I think this
would represent a serious security risk if someone tried to add the
feature.  Supporting simple automated HTML conversion via lynx is
potentially dangerous enough, I don't think anyone would want to go
beyond that.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755