[Mailman-Users] Internal Server Error after installation

Simon Weil sweil at gmx.de
Tue Jul 27 21:27:03 CEST 2004

Hi Newsgroup,

I've got a problem with the Mailman-installation.

I installed Mailman as root on a RedHat 9-Server. Everything seems ok, but
when I visit /admin in my web-browser I get a 500-Error (Internal Server
Error).

I tried to execute the admin-script in the shell as root, then I got the
failure-message:

<title>Mailman CGI error!!!</title>

</head><body>

<h1>Mailman CGI error!!!</h1>

The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being
stored in your syslog:

<pre>

Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the CGI wrapper script to be

executed as one of the following groups:

[apache],

but the system's web server executed the CGI script as group: "root".

Try tweaking the web server to run the script as one of these groups:

[apache],

or re-run configure providing the command line option:

'--with-cgi-gid=root'.</pre>

I've searched the Mail-Archive and found a lot of entries, heading the same
problem, but I couldn't find the answer.

Can anybody help me and tell me what I have to do?

I think I have to change something with the groups or owners, but I don't
know exactly how and where.

Thanks for your help!

Simon Weil