[Mailman-Users] Apache/Mailman with existing IIS

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sat Jun 5 00:21:29 CEST 2004

In reading your description of the problem you are trying to solve I
may be misunderstanding what you say. If so I apologize if my comments
below waste your time.

If your Linux box is routing all incoming traffic to port 80 on your
public IP number through to the internal server machine, how do you
expect an HTTP server on the Linux box to see any incoming traffic on
port 80 from that interface? How do you expect the router to determine
the URL being addressed by the external client as presumably only
examination of the Host: header in the HTTP request can determine which
host (www.mydomain.com and somethingelse.mydomain.com and
linux.mydomain.com) is wanted? I am assuming that DNS resolves all
these published names to your single, public, static IP number. Are you
currently trying to route all the externally originating HTTP traffic
through to the internal server and then have that proxy some of the
requests (the Mailman ones) back to the internal interface on the Linux
box? That looks like the long way around.

Being a simple minded fellow I would approach the problem you have
posed the other way about, as follows:

1. Configure you Linux firewall machine to run Apache with mod_proxy
and mod_rewrite loaded.

2. Do not route port 80 traffic from the outside world off the Linux
box, just let the Apache server on the Linux box take all the port 80
traffic from the external interface.

3. Let the Apache server serve the Mailman pages in the normal way.
That machine has to run some of the Mailman cgi scripts to deliver
parts of the Mailman web gui and presumably the public list archive
pages to be delivered directly by Apache are residing on storage either
local to or NFS mounted by the Linux machine.

4. Configure some RewriteRules so that Apache on  the linux machine
transparently proxies for requests it doesn't want to handle, and just
passes them through to the internal HTTP server.

Note:

a. I am actively suggesting you do NOT turn ProxyRequests On or
configure Apache to act as a general caching proxy server of the
forward or reverse kind. Just use mod_proxy to hide your internal HTTP
server. mod_proxy will happily proxy request as dictated by ProxyPass
directives and RewriteRules with the [P] flag on them without having
ProxyRequests On or your doing any other proxy server setup.

b. I am suggesting use of mod_rewrite with the [P] flag on RewriteRules
to generate proxy requests instead of ProxyPass because it give you a
lot more flexibility on configuring things.

Unless you have a heavily loaded site, Apache is quite capable of
performing this sort of transparent proxying task. I regularly do this
sort of thing with Apache servers I manage as a way of hiding internal
servers on private IP numbers, including Zope servers, behind publicly
visible Apache servers on public IP numbers. The residual problem that
can arise is related to whether the proxied pages being served by the
internal server need their HTML munged to reflect what you doing. If
that looks to be a problem there are solutions to it of various degrees
of ease of application. There can also be issues about whether you want
Forwarded-For headers added and such but I am getting too far into
detail which probably is not relevant to your problem.

Best of luck finding a solution.