[Mailman-Users] Upgrade to 2.1.4 failed - user lost - recover via backup unsuccessful - any ideas?

Alex Dupont usenetforum at gmx.net
Sun Jun 6 19:28:17 CEST 2004

Hello Tokio,

[sorry, this got only mailed to you personally; again to the list;
strange list setting btw...]

> Have you done 'bin/update' after moving the backup config.pck file
> into the newly installed list directory ?

"No updates are necessary." The more I think about it I get the
feeling that my backup-files somehow got screwed up... Still, can no
one tell me where I can at least find the subscribed addresses? That
information has to be stored _somewhere_??

> I think every packager should disclose their configure options so
> that upgrading can be done through our source distribution and the
> list dbs automatically updated !

Agreed. However, using an update script provided by the distribution -
specifically made for that application - should do _all_ the necessary
work without screwing anything up. That's how it works in about 95% of
the time. Errors can always happen. Yet it is beyond my comprehension
how any script performing an upgrade would delete any file without
making an automatic backup of it. And this has absolutely nothing to
do with the fact that one should always backup before any such
operation. Because sometimes the upgrade is performed by accident.
Believe me, that happens...

Greetings
Alex