[Mailman-Users] list archive template location

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 15:02:35 CEST 2004

On 16 Jun 2004, at 21:40, R. Steven Rainwater wrote:

> I have a server running mailman 2.1.4 with several mailing lists. I
> would like to customize the archive templates used with list-1 while
> continuing to use the default archive templates with list-2, list-3,
> etc.
>
> My first attempt, after some trial and error, was to place my
> customized
> templates in /lists/list1/en/
>
> This works when I regerate the arhcive by running the arch program
> manually - it uses the custom templates instead of the default
> templates. However, as soon as a new email comes through list-1,
> whatever mechanism is used internally by mailman to update the archive
> uses the default templates instead of my custom templates and
> overwrites
> the archive index with the default look again.
>
> I can't seem to find any location for my customized templates that will
> cause both arch and the mailman's automated archiving to use them.

For performance reasons, templates are cached in memory by executing
runners, such as the archive runner.

If you change templates or add new per-list templates, for instance,
you have to run mailmanctl -restart to get the qrunner to restart so
that it will rebuild its template cache and in the process pick up new
or changed templates.

Because /bin/arch always starts with its own empty template cache each
time it runs you see the effects you noted.