[Mailman-Users] Changing HTML templates

Nathan Kennedy ntk at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Jun 26 19:13:09 CEST 2004

Hello,
I am running Mailman 2.1.x on OpenBSD 3.5.  I wanted to customize the
Mailman HTML, in particular the archive login page and the mail
archives, to match the rest of my website.  Through the admin interface,
I found that there were only three pages that I could edit, so I edited
the HTML templates directly in /usr/local/lib/mailman/templates/en/.
Then I did arch --wipe listname, and the changes to the archive HTML
took effect and looked nice.

However, I was bewildered that the next time mail was sent to the list,
the archive index was rebuilt using the default, original Mailman HTML.
Again I did arch --wipe listname, and my changes took effect.

Why is it that when mail is sent to the list, it is not using the
templates in mailman/templates/en, and where IS it getting the templates
from?  It doesn't look like the templates are embedded in the list
configuration, at least I could not find them there.  Seems odd that
arch --wipe listname would have different behavior from how Mailman
normally rebuilds the archive HTML when it gets mail.

-Nathan