[Mailman-Users] upgrading Panther Server basic install 2.1.2 to 2.1.5

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Jun 29 18:14:31 CEST 2004

At 12:00 PM -0400 2004-06-29, Thomas Waters wrote:

>  1) there is nothing in the upgrading doc that specifically talks about
>  2.1.2 -> 2.1.5. So, is the info for 2.1.4 -> 2.1.5 sufficient?

	It should be.

>  2) On the Readme OS X- seems to speak to Jaquar and is out of
>  date/not applicable to 10.3.x?

	Apple has not contributed their changes to Mailman back to the
project, nor have they contributed any documentation back to the
project about what they changed.  What is here is what people have
created on their own.

	So far as I know, all the people running Mailman on MacOS X are
either doing it from stuff they've installed themselves on Jaguar, or
they're using the Apple-bundled stuff on Panther Server.  I don't
know of anyone who has tried using the standard Mailman stuff on
Panther (as opposed to Panther Server).

	See <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.021.htp>.

	Once you get your upgrade done, it would be nice if you could
contribute your experiences and knowledge back to the project, to try
to help fill this gap.

>  3) In the Readme, under "create your first list" , the default location
>  is listed as /usr/local/mailman.  On my server, it is usr/share/mailman.
>  Should that be changed?

	It depends on what was done by the guy who originally installed
it.  However, it seems plausible that all references to
/usr/local/mailman would need to be changed to /usr/share/mailman on
your system.

>  I don't have very many lists, and I'm need to delete all members and
>  re-import list menmbers, so I'm happy to wipe it all clean and start
>  from scratch if needed.

	The update over the stuff you have now should be relatively
clean.  Should be.

>  4) the dir, usr/share/mailman does not contain everything that I see in
>  the 2.1.5 folder I downloaded.

	That's not a good sign.  Is there a directory named "mailman"
anywhere else on the system?