[Mailman-Users] From Address and non-member posts

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 19:17:24 CEST 2004

On 30 Jun 2004, at 17:16, Ian A B Eiloart wrote:

> --On Wednesday, June 30, 2004 10:55 am -0400 David Relson
> <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:44:17 +0200
>> Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

>>> Because that's where bounces go, and you want automatic
>>> unsubscription
>>> to work, don't you?
>>
>> And, as a subscriber, I don't want all the bounce messages coming to
>> me!
>>  As Ralf says, let mailman see the bounces and deal with them.
>
> No, that's wrong. The question was about the "From:" address. Bounces
> go to the "Sender:" address.

Almost but not quite. Bounces go to the SMTP envelope sender NOT, as
Ian says, the address in the message From: header. MM normally puts the
same value as the envelope sender into the message Sender: header but
an MTA generating a bounce should only work off the envelope value and
never off the message headers. In general you can have a different
value in the Sender: header to the envelope From, which can ameliorate
the behaviour of some versions of Outlook which upsets some users
getting mail from lists; see:

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq02.003.htp