[Mailman-Users] postalias error

Shaun T. Erickson ste at smxy.org
Wed Mar 17 17:08:35 CET 2004

I had been using postfix-to-mailman.py, as I initially set up mailman,
so I could skip the hassle of dealing with the aliases until I got
everything else working (which I did).

This morning, I ripped that out, and follwed the directions in the
README.POSTFIX file, and got my existing two lists working just fine
(again).

Then I went to create a new list, via my browser, and I got this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
     main()
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/create.py", line 55, in main
     process_request(doc, cgidata)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/create.py", line 226, in
process_request
     sys.modules[modname].create(mlist, cgi=1)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 232, in create
     _update_maps()
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 53, in
_update_maps
     raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/local/sbin/postalias
/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)

I am able, as root, to run postalias on the aliases file, just fine. The
files owner and group are both mailman, as the readme specified.

-rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman   2792 Mar 17 10:51 aliases
-rw-r-----  1 mailman  mailman  49152 Mar 17 10:56 aliases.db

As a side note, I had set the owner and group of the virtual-mailman*
files to be mailman, too, but after attempting to create the new list, I
see that the ownership of one has changed to www:

-rw-rw----  1 www      mailman   2378 Mar 17 10:51 virtual-mailman
-rw-r-----  1 mailman  mailman  49152 Mar 17 09:30 virtual-mailman.db

Can someone help me figure out what the correct owner, group and
permissions on these files should be (apparently different from what the
readme states), so that I can successfullt create lists via the web?

TIA,

	-ste