[Mailman-Users] Stop the Confirmation E-Mail

Shaun T. Erickson ste at smxy.org
Thu Mar 18 01:07:37 CET 2004

Steven Massey wrote:

> Jon,
>
> Thanks for the response.  I would tend to agree with you, but this
> client is particularly insistent on setting it up this way.  Perhaps
> people on the list could help me by providing some fodder to argue why
> there should be a confirmation e-mail.  I've tried saying that people
> could be maliciously signed up for a list they never wanted to be on,
> but they don't seem to think that is really an issue.  Are there other
> reasons I can provide?  Even the smallest things could be useful.

I haven't tried this, but looking at Defaults.py for 2.1.4, I see:

# SUBSCRIBE POLICY
# 0 - open list (only when ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE is set to 1) **
# 1 - confirmation required for subscribes
# 2 - admin approval required for subscribes
# 3 - both confirmation and admin approval required
#
# ** please do not choose option 0 if you are not allowing open
# subscribes (next variable)
DEFAULT_SUBSCRIBE_POLICY = 1

# Does this site allow completely unchecked subscriptions?
ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = No

Perhaps settings of 0 and Yes will get you the behavior you're seeking,
though I agree with others that it's a Bad Idea(tm).

	-ste