[Mailman-Users] Question?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sun May 9 09:35:14 CEST 2004

On 9 May 2004, at 07:40, texas critter wrote:

> Richard Barrett wrote:

>>> Do you have more specific info about this problem?
>>>

>> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq02.003.htp
>
> Ah!  That this problem only applies to Outlook, which, despite the name
> similarity, is quite different from Outlook Express.  That FAQ entry
> says:
>
> "In contrast many other MUAs including version of MS Outlook Express
> just
> render the From field using the value of the From mail header."

I know what the entry FAQ says; I wrote it in July last year after some
basic research and a cursory look at how a limited sample of some
versions of the MS MUA products worked, following a spate of postings
to this list about the displayed From field MS MUA users were seeing.

If you have definitive knowledge about such products then you will note
that the FAQ entry invites you to add to the sume total of human
knowledge when it says:

<quote>
It appears that not all version of MS Outlook have this behaviour. If
you know of versions that do or do not, then add the information to
this FAQ page.
</quote>

> Outlook does lots of strange things.  OE (other than the MS security
> problems) behaves more normally.

Well, that is reassuring.