[Mailman-Users] Can Mailman be used as a Newsletter Mailing List?

Stan Gould stantonrgould at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 19:43:24 CEST 2004

Ted:

You can set up an announcement list where only you can
send by making the following setting changes:

(1) "General Settings" the bottom setting:

"Should postings include the List-Post: header?"
change to "NO."

This will omit the email address to post messages.

(2) In "Privacy Options," under "membership exposure"
the setting:

"Who can view subscription list?" change to "LIST
ADMIN ONLY."

This will keep others from viewing and sending to
membership addresses outside of the list. It will also
reduce the possibility of spamming.

(3)  After you open "Privacy Options" four sub-options
links will appear. Click on "sender filters" and the
setting

    "By default, should new list member postings be
moderated?" set to "YES."

>From this point on, all new subscribers will be
moderated. They can try to post a message by sending
it to the list-post address, but unless you (the
moderator) approves the message, it will not be
posted. You can also make settings to automatically
discard attempted posts, if you wish.

"Additional Member Tasks" the setting:

"Set everyone's moderation bit, including those
members not currently visible"
change to "ON" and click the SET button.

This will ensure that anyone who subscribed before you
made the above changes, will be moderated.

(5) Lastly, at "membership list" search for your name,
click to remove the moderation setting checkbox and
click the SUBMIT YOUR CHANGES button. This will make
you (and only you) unmoderated, allowing you to send
your announcements to the list.

Hope this helps.

Stan