[Mailman-Users] I am a new Mailman user

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Nov 4 19:48:27 CET 2004

Tim Litwiller wrote:

>I am running SME 6.0.1 and the mailman contrib package found at contribs.org
>
>It was quite easy to setup but after a week or so I found this in the archive

What archive?? Do you mean the Mailman error log file?

>the list has been working ok but I'd rather learn something about it and not have errors
>than just leave it.
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/opt/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 43, in ?
>    from Mailman import mm_cfg
>  File "/opt/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py", line 44, in ?
>    from Defaults import *
>  File "/opt/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py", line 94
>    DEFAULT_URL =
>                 ^
>SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
>I've looked at those files and am wondering what is wrong with the first two
>errors and for the third error should I remove that line. In my Defaults.py I have this

This is a traceback. There is only the one error. The lines above are
how you got there.

>---cut---
># DEFAULT_HOST_NAME has been replaced with DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST, however some
># sites may have the former in their mm_cfg.py files.  If so, we'll believe
># that, otherwise we'll believe DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.  Same for DEFAULT_URL.
>DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = None
>DEFAULT_URL = None
>---cut---

This looks correct. What happens if you do

cd /opt/mailman/Mailman/
python   <- or whatever the command is to invoke python on your system
>>>from Defaults import *  <- ">>>" is python prompt

Then type control-D at the next prompt to quit.

If you get the same error, try

rm Defaults.pyc

and then do the above again.