[Mailman-Users] Re: Update: LDAP Membership Adaptor V3.0

martin.whinnery at blueyonder.co.uk martin.whinnery at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 00:33:07 CET 2004

Martin Krafft said...

>also sprach martin.whinnery at blueyonder.co.uk <martin.whinnery at >blueyonder.co.uk> [2004.10.30.1506 +0200]:
>> Most of the code here is his, I've modified it to use group
>> membership to populate the lists.
>
>Define populate, please? Is this a one-time import feature, or is
>the directory server contacted in real-time?

Real-time. So for the lists concerned (which needn't be all your lists, the MemberAdaptor setup applies per-list, which is nice, ta Barry), the list's members are gotten from the directory.

Remember that this particular implementation (if that's not too big a word) takes away ALL per-user customisation, of which arguably the most painful is digest prefs. All you get is list-wide configuration.

A 'good' implementation would allow for per-list user prefs customisation ( 'I want the users of this list to get digests', for instance ), and would modify the web interface to reflect the lessened functionality. Which mine doesn't. Quite frankly, I don't yet know how, although I did have a reasonable handle on it for a little while. And I've not got much time. It does what I need right now.

Anyways, enough of my own voice.

Mart