[Mailman-Users] Who is moderated?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Nov 5 10:15:16 CET 2004

At 6:52 PM +0100 2004-11-04, Kim Nevelsteen wrote:

>  Hello Mainman developers,

	Actually, this is the mailman-users mailing list.  There is a
separate mailman-developers mailing list.

>  How does Mailman confirm that a message sent out under a particular
>  address is *actually* the real address.

	It checks the headers in a specific order to see what is claimed.

>                                           I can configure any outgoing
>  address I like in my email client, so who says I can't send a mail
>  to the list under the list owners address and get a post of spam?

	That's true.  There is no cryptographic validation performed on
the sender address as claimed in the message.

	See
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-October/040464.html>
for more on this subject.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755