[Mailman-Users] {Oink!!} Pig at the wedding question/diatribe

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Fri Nov 5 18:36:02 CET 2004

Thanks, Paul, have a beer on me...........it's nice to know that I'm not just some street
corner crank, but that the situation really IS stupid, SO unfortunate.  Features are nice,
front ends are nice, blart and bonkus death rays are soooooooooooooo hot....butbutbutbut,
you development elvenfolk didja never think that a major element of the adaption of your
cathedral of code is system management and upgrade?????...that if it's too much of a
Chaley Foxtrot in that respect, no one will want to dance with you?????

A lot of this freeware just stuns me.  One application like Mailman is bad enough, but add
in Apache and python and manymanyfiles and you just have to have a combinatorial explosion
of phase-of-the-moon gotchas when you try to upgrade....<just get the new tarball and
untar/drop it on top the production version>  Uh-huh, and when smoke comes out the side,
/then/ what?
We usta have a super-geek who would whump up these magical application suites that knocked
the socks of the management, gottahaveit!!!, and then throw it over the wall to me to
maintain and upgrade without any documentation.  Now you have 3000 people using and loving
it and wanting it up every second (a college runs 25x8x357) and along comes a honking
security exposure.  Should I defecate or go blind???
The magic word is PRODUCTION.  Honestly, without Perfect Knowledge (TMk) how could you?
I mean, the only halfway air tight, non-omniscient, production-tolerable way to do it is
to have two machines that leapfrog each other.....
Sheesh.  Stop Making New Function And Make/use A GNU Packaging Setup That Allows SysAdmins
to Upgrade, Patch, Backout (whatta concept!) and GNU APPS 'MARKET SHARE' WILL GO UP BY
50%, 200%, who knows?   You will be so proud of yourself!

sorry.  So much promise.  Gorgeous babe of an application, but /so/ high maintenance and
maybe a dose of the c*&p

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources