[Mailman-Users] {Oink!!} Pig at the wedding question/diatribe

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Nov 5 21:25:33 CET 2004

At 3:09 PM -0500 2004-11-05, Stewart Dean wrote:

>  What I was attempting to express was/is my frustration at a beautiful
>  application with many good feature, responsive development, etc., etc....
>  that is missing the boat with the fundamental issue of maintenance and
>  updating.  It is like the guy who builds an exquisite power boat in the
>  basement...but with no way to get it out of the basement.

	Mailman is an open source project.  We will be glad to receive
any contributions you may care to make to help us work towards this
goal.

>  I'd think it wouldn't have taken any longer to design the GNU packaging
>  tools and process to build single-binary, host-portable output.  A lot
>  of thought has gone into Mailman...a little more into in packaging would
>  have boosted its acceptance enormously

	You really should read the Mailman FAQ entries at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=index>.  Pay special
attention to question 4.55.

	Gnu and Linux are not the only operating systems or tool
environments where Mailman is expected to run.  We don't ship
binaries.  We ship source code.  If you want a nice and clean binary
installation which adheres to whatever your views are regarding where
things should be installed, then you should be looking to your OS
vendor for a binary package.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755