[Mailman-Users] {Oink!!} Pig at the wedding question/diatribe

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Sat Nov 6 00:32:08 CET 2004

On 11/5/2004 14:02, "Chuq Von Rospach" <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> I know when folks who are involved with open source projects say "hey!
> start coding!" it pisses people off. I sympathize but I sympathize from
> both sides, and the bottom line is that's the reality. It's not that
> developers aren't open to feedback or suggestions, because we all are,
> and knowing the core Mailman folks the way I do, I feel safe saying
> they agree with you and wish they could do it, too (but we all have
> lives, or pretend to).

And, for many projects, there are many of us who definitely should NOT be
asked to code.  The intersection of project and those of us in the category

I should never be asked to code in C (or C++).  I don't like C (and I've
never written any C to execute in the Unix/Linux environment).  Until
sometime shortly after 1995, I could still say "I've been around computers
more than twice as long as C has."  I did become reasonably OK with C and
C++ in the Macintosh environment (pre-Carbon) but put it aside, and I can't
even sensibly be asked to do C (C++, Objective C) in the current Mac

Of course, Mailman is in Python...that's a different situation.  But will a
single-binary Mailman still be in Python?

Some people who shouldn't code should document, instead.  Lots of projects
could use that (including commercial ones).  Or coordinate.