[Mailman-Users] Moderating messages via email

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Nov 7 06:11:48 CET 2004

stephen m wrote:

>I have searched and looked at the help, but I can't
>find how to moderate messages via email. For example,
>if I have no access to the web, but can still receive
>email, can I do those admin tasks of
>edit/accept/delete messages via email?

The e-mail command interface is for user functions like (un)subscribe
and retrieving/changing password and opions. There really is no e-mail
administrative interface.

That said, if you have your mailman set to validate posts based on
envelope sender (USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER = Yes in mm_cfg.py) and you have
your list set to send immediate notification of pending posts, you can
"approve" a post by e-mail by resending the post portion of the
approval notice to the list. I.e. you send the original post to the
list with envelope sender = you. This will result in the original post
going to the list without further approval assuming you can post
without approval.

This will work for posts from non-members and moderated members. It
won't work for posts with "implicit destination" or "too many
recipients" unless you also add the list as a To: or Cc: or delete
recipients from the To: and/or Cc: to prevent the post from being held
again.

Also, while this will result in a copy of the post to the list, the
original will still be held for approval until it is deleted via the
admindb web interface.