[Mailman-Users] Surgemail, FreeBSD and Mailman

G James Jones gjjones1 at usi.edu
Tue Nov 9 15:57:06 CET 2004

> From: Russ Pagenkopf <russ.pagenkopf at uas.alaska.edu>
> To: Mailman-Users at python.org
> Subject: [Mailman-Users] Surgemail, FreeBSD and Mailman
> Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:26:36 -0900
>
> Hi all,
>
> Hope this isn't too simple a problem; either I can't wrap my head around
> it or I can't find it in the documentation/faq anywhere.
>
> Anyways, I'm running FreeBSD 4.9, Python 2.3_1, Surgemail 2.1c7 and
> Mailman 2.1.5. Compiled fine and did the initial INSTALL steps. Have run
> check_perm a few time and have stopped getting errors.
>
> Created a new list via the web page called testlist and added my email
> address via the account management screen. When I went to send a test
> email to testlist at worldprism.net I got an error message in response from
> the local mail server.

I don't use Surgemail, but I get similar errors when using Postfix (our
MTA) if I don't set up the aliases in the postfix  mail alias file
(under linux, /etc/postfix/aliases) for the list that I created .

A typical alias for a test list might look like:

testlist:              "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post testlist"

testlist-admin:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin testlist"

testlist-bounces:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
testlist"

testlist-confirm:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm
testlist"

testlist-join:         "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join testlist"

testlist-leave:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave testlist"

testlist-owner:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner testlist"

testlist-request:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request
testlist"

testlist-subscribe:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe
testlist"

testlist-unsubscribe:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe
testlist"

After adding these entries, I have to execute the postfix newaliases
command to register them.

If I forget either step, I get very similar errors to the one below.

Hope this helps-

Jim Jones

> ---------------------------------
> This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
>
> Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
> The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
> each recipient was rejected.
>
>      Recipient: <testlist at worldprism dot net>
>      Reason:    No such user (testlist) -ERR testlist at worldprism dot
> net not found
>
> Please reply to <postmaster at uas dot alaska dot edu>
> if you feel this message to be in error.
>
> Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.uas.alaska.edu
> Received-From-MTA:dns; [137.229.198.76]
> Arrival-Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:17:31 -0900
>
> Remote-Recipient: rfc822;<testlist at worldprism.net>
> Diagnostic-Code: smtp;551 SMTP-Deliver:BadRecipient
> Action: failed
> Remote-MTA: DNS;mail.worldprism.net
> Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:17:38 -0900
>
> Subject: test
> From: Russ Pagenkopf <russ.pagenkopf at uas dot alaska dot edu>
> Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:17:31 -0900
> To: testlist at worldprism.net