[Mailman-Users] Email to list rejected

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Nov 21 05:59:41 CET 2004

Tom Barton wrote:

>For some reason email to my list is being rejected.  I've set up a list with
>my email address as the only member.  When I send email to the list I get:
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
><msd_60 at foo.sgi.com>
>    (reason: 550 <msd_60 at foo.sgi.com>: Recipient address rejected: User
>unknown in local recipient table)

This looks like an alias problem.

>I'm using:
>
>foo:trb $ rpm -aq|grep mailman
>mailman-2.1.4-83.4
>foo:trb $ rpm -aq|grep postfix
>postfix-2.1.1-1.4
>foo:trb $ uname -a
>Linux foo 2.6.5-7.104-default #1 Wed Jul 28 16:42:13 UTC 2004 i686 i686 i386
>GNU/Linux
>
>Mailman and postfix were installed via rpm.
>
>There are no entries in /etc/postfix/access.  Should there be?
>
>Where/how is access to sending email to a list managed?  How particular is
>it in regard to address matching?  In other words, does every part of an
>address have to match the address in the list, or does it just look at the
>user id?

It is done through aliases that match the "user id" and pipe the
message to mailman.

>The machine is accepting email from the same address when it is sent to a
>user on the machine, but it is rejected when sent to a Mailman list.
>
>I thought this would be in the FAQ, but I can't find it.  If you can help me
>figure this out, I'll add it.

Did you look at FAQ articles 1.7 and 3.14? They both mention aliases.

Have you read the INSTALL and README.POSTFIX documents that are in the
standard Mailman distribution? Are these or equivalents in your
mailman rpm? If you don't have them, you can find them at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mailman/mailman/