[Mailman-Users] Re: Deleting a list - Mac OS X

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Nov 25 04:43:00 CET 2004

demo wrote:

>Just to say that this actually does not work for Apple's OS X Server version
>2.1.2 of Mailman ... Good heavens!
>
>It does somethings but I am not sure if it is my shortcomings or the
>proprietary version's.
>

>Adding; OWNERS_CAN_DELETE_THEIR_OWN_LISTS = Yes to
>
>/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
>
>Adds a new link to the General Options admin page that links to a new page;
>
>http://yourdomain.com/mailman/rmlist/mailing
>
>That offers you to delete the list and archive. [ n.b deleting a list in the
>Apple GUI does *not* delete the archive ].

That's exactly what it should do.

>However, doing so brings up a bug report as below and deleting it via the
>button does *not* delete the list;

See remarks below.

>In fact, I think the inclusion of that line screws up the install a bit,
>although I am not asking for help here - only feeding back.
>
>Doing so, I just tried this on a totally virgin OS X Server install, also
>adds a new line that says, " If you have the proper authority,  you can also
>create a new mailing list. " on the general list Admin page [
>http://yourdomain.com/mailman/admin ].

In a standard Mailman, this line is always on that page. It is not
dependant on OWNERS_CAN_DELETE_THEIR_OWN_LISTS. Only the web delete
list function depends on this option in a standard Mailman.

>Again, this looks like it might work but throws up a similar bug report.
>
>*However*,
>
>it *does* create a List in the GUI *and* web interface. Is there another
>line I ought to have written out to make this work? [ will check the FAQs
>later but it is 2 am here and I have to time out ...
>
>If anyone is interested in the second bug report I could post it ... I guess
>it might be hackable.
>
>The archives [ /var/mailman/archives/public  ] are created but not deleted
>either way.
>
>This seems to be a bit of Apple weirdness for some reason. You seem to have
>to go in there are manually exorcise them.
>

>MA
>

><quote>
>

>We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>
>If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy of
>this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what
>happened. Thanks!
>
> Traceback:
>

>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/share/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
>    main()
>  File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/rmlist.py", line 91, in main
>    process_request(doc, cgidata, mlist)
>  File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/rmlist.py", line 126, in
>process_request
>    sys.modules[modname].remove(mlist, cgi=1)
>  File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 296, in remove
>    _update_maps()
>  File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 53, in _update_maps
>    raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
>RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias
>/private/var/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)

Mailman is trying to remove the aliases for the deleted list. It has
removed the aliases from the text file
/private/var/mailman/data/aliases and is then trying to invoke the
command

/usr/sbin/postalias /private/var/mailman/data/aliases

to update the actual alias database. For some reason, the OS is not
allowing this (status: 1, Operation not permitted).

It encounters this error before actually deleting the list and it's
archives, so none of this happens (but it has deleted the aliases from
the text file).

Is /usr/sbin/postalias the correct command? If not, it is set as

  POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'

in Defaults.py and can be changed in mm_cfg.py. If it is the correct
command, then maybe it's a permissions issue.