[Mailman-Users] Errors in Mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Nov 26 00:03:40 CET 2004

Terry Allen <hmag at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>1 - If I make a change to mm_cfg.py, to refresh the config, is it
>sufficient to from the command line simply run bin/mailmanctl reload

  bin/mailmanctl restart

(not reload)

>2 - In my Postfix logs, this appeared - fatal: open
>/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases.db: Permission denied - could someone
>let me know what permissions should be applied to this.

I don't know for sure. README.POSTFIX says owner and group should be
the mailman user and group, but doesn't mention permissions. It
appears that bin/genaliases creates these files with permissions
rw-rw-r--.

>3 - If I create a list from the command line, I am successful in
>creating the list - however, if I try to create a list from the web
>interface, I get this error: Error: Unknown virtual host:
>heard.com.au - now, in mm_cfg.py, I have the following lines:
>DEFAULT_URL = 'http://heard.com.au/mailman/'
>OWNERS_CAN_DELETE_THEIR_OWN_LISTS = Yes
>add_virtualhost = ( 'heard.com.au' , 'heard.com.au' )
>Could anyone suggest where I have gone wrong please - my web
>interface was working at first, but obviously something I have
>changed has stuffed up.

This is telling you that 'heard.com.au' is not a key in the
VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary. Your add_virtualhost line is wrong. It
should be

add_virtualhost('heard.com.au', 'heard.com.au')

No "=".

Also, DEFAULT_URL is obsolete. You should be using DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN.
This should be OK from Defaults.py -

  DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

Also, use DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST. If these are correct
in Defaults.py, i.e. both = 'heard.com.au', then the only thing of the
above you need in mm_cfg.py is

  OWNERS_CAN_DELETE_THEIR_OWN_LISTS = Yes

If these are not correct in Defaults.py, then, in addition, you need in
mm_cfg.py

  DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'heard.com.au'
  DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'heard.com.au'
  VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()