[Mailman-Users] Mailman's Mailbox

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Nov 26 17:29:45 CET 2004

At 3:19 PM +0000 2004-11-26, Gary Smith wrote:

>  By that I mean I know I have an email because I download my inbox on to
>  my computer, but does Mailman constantly do this, if it does would'nt it
>  cause a strain on the server?

	Mailman doesn't have a "mailbox", per se.  When the MTA (e.g.,
sendmail, postfix, exim, etc...) receives a message for a
mailman-hosted mailing list or other mailman-related address, the MTA
hands that message off to the Mailman code, and does so immediately.
These messages never get stored in a mailbox for Mailman to
periodically check.

	It might actually help improve scalability if Mailman did
periodically check a mailbox (e.g., using POP3 or whatever), but that
would cause significant additional code to be added to the system,
and it's not clear exactly how that would be implemented.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755