[Mailman-Users] Stopping Spam

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Nov 30 10:44:23 CET 2004

At 5:47 PM +0000 2004-11-29, Gary Smith wrote:

>  In one of the previous posts (Allow members to send e-mail to another list)
>  it was mentioned that intelligent spammers could monitor the output of a
>  list and then spoof one of the subscribed addresses.

	Indeed, this is a risk.

>  I dont know much about emails, but how is this possible that they can
>  monitor the output?

	They subscribe to the list.  They see all the addresses come
across that a regular user would see, then pick one that they want to
spoof.

>                       It is possible to stop it easily?

	Nope.  If all posters were required to use PGP-signed messages,
and you had PGP integrated into Mailman so as to reject all messages
which were not correctly PGP-signed, that might work.  Of course,
anyone who wanted to join the list and post would need to upload
their key to the PGP keyring on the mailing list server.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755