[Mailman-Users] yet-another-sendmail-hates-me "list not found" problem

p e y t o n mmm-mailman at peyton.org
Sat Oct 2 17:48:21 CEST 2004

hai!

i love this list. and i've searched it thoroughly all the way back to 2002.
and while i have found a few messages/replies that address the problem i'm
having ... none of them have helped me to solve things.

i'll keep this short and sweet. mailman is up and running on redhat 8.
there are no error messages in logs, maillog or the webserver error log.
when i send a message to the list i get a mailer daemon response that says:

"|/public_html/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
     (reason: 1)
     (expanded from: <test at DOMAIN HIDDEN>)

post script, list not found: test
554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 1

i have a symbolic link in /etc/smrsh to mailman. my mail-gid is correct ...
i'm able to execute the "mailman post" command from the cline without
uid/gid errors. my mm_cfg.py is setup with an add_virtualhost since i'm
vhosting.

the only thing unusual is that i am running multiple copies of mailman on
my system (for each domain i want to use it). this means that i am very
careful when i run the ./configure command to setup:

--prefix
--with-username
--with-groupname
--withcgi-gid
--with-mail-gid

the web interface works. i can add new lists from the cline and the web
interface. i just can't post to my lists and i don't have any error
reporting that tells that i'm doing something wrong. i am totally out of
ideas (despite having run mailman for years) and posting here as a last
desperate measure.

many thanks for your time in advance!

-p